I admit it–I don’t like to stop and take my building-better-bones walks. (I just feel like I don’t have time!) Yet once I push myself out the door, I enjoy my God-walk-talks. Sometimes I pray versions of the alphabet prayer. (Busy Mothers and Grandmothers, you might include your children as you walk together or push the stroller to the park.)
1. Alphabet Thanksgiving: Name what you’re grateful for starting with A and proceeding through Z. Example: Father, thank you for the:
A. Air we breathe.
B. Bird I just saw.
D. Ducks in the pond.
2. Alphabet Scripture Prayers: Think of Bible verses, phrases, or even scripture songs you’ve learned lately and turn them into prayers. Example: Lord, your Word says, Abide in me;[i] Believe in the Lord Jesus;[ii] Create in me a clean heart.[iii] (Or, use He Cares for you.[iv] Remember, there’s no perfect way to do this!)
3. Alphabet Praises: My favorite adaptation of this idea is to praise God for his attributes and characteristics. Example: Lord God, I praise you because you are:
- Blessed, Beautiful, Big (This doesn’t have to be perfect!)
- Caring, Compassionate, Cool
- Delightful, Defender, Deliverer
- Excellent, Everlasting
- Forgiving, Father, Forever, Freedom-Giver.
No matter what you choose, be gentle with yourself and your children. If you can’t think of anything for a letter, skip it and move on. If you don’t know the verse’s exact wording, paraphrase. Just have fun and let your mind and soul be bathed with God’s words, presence and gifts.
Try it and let me know what happens. Okay?
[i] John 15:4
[ii] Acts 16:31
[iii] Psalm 51:10 NKJV
[iv] 1 Peter 5:7