Have you dreamed of slowing down, but keep hearing your internal-bully whisper “There’s no stinkin’ way you can do that!”
Perhaps you’re one of many in service-related careers or ministries who are on the fast track to burnout. (Just in case you wondering, here’s a good definition of burnout. Burnout is the type of stress and emotional fatigue that occurs when a series of (or combination of) events in a relationship, mission, way of life or job fail to produce an expected result.)
Awareness is an important step in changing this self-defeating lifestyle of overworking, overdoing, over-helping and over-committing. The following questionnaire can help you identify your need:
- Do you have a difficult time relaxing?
- Are you crankier than you used to be–even though you try hard to keep it to yourself?
- Do you rush from one project to another?
- Are you tired on an ongoing basis?
- Do you feel increasingly depressed, anxious or hopeless?
- Are you increasingly angry and don’t know why?
- Do you spend less time with friends and family or in doing what you previously enjoyed?
- Do you work hard and long, but accomplish less?
- Is life (and/or your ministry) becoming a drag?
There is HOPE.
You can admit your need, ask God for guidance and insight, seek help and resources, and then take active steps to reshape your thoughts and behavior. It sounds like a lot. Yet, that first step is all you need right now.
Show someone you love (preferably a healthy, supportive person!) your responses to this questionnaire. And then don’t back down. God honors truth-telling–even if that truth (the reality facing you) feels negative.
THERE IS LIFE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF BURNOUT.